About Thomas Ryan Photography

This major photographic project documents 20th Century Modernism throughout Australia. Join me, Thomas Ryan, on a photographic journey as I document Australian 20th Century Modernism through the camera lens. Art Deco, Inter-war, Post War, Brutalism,are just some of the styles I document in this fascinating period in Australia's built history.

If you would like to get in touch with me, please visit my website,Thomas Ryan Photography. You can also contact me via social media on facebook and g+ All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan. All rights reserved, unauthorised use is prohibited.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

School of Music Brutalism - Australian National University



I stumbled across this wonderful example of Brutalist design when initially viewing the Art Deco School of Arts Building which is close by.

This inspirational building is home to the Australian National University School of Music and was completed in 1976.

The sculptured and rigid lines are so typical of the period that produced some wonderful Brutalist designs, this being one of Canberra's stand out buildings. It's been recognised for its architectural, social and historical values having listings from the Royal Australian Institute of Architects, Commonwealth Heritage List and the National Trust of Australia.

To view more examples of Modernist architecture from Canberra and Australia check out my dedicated photo gallery here

No comments:

Post a Comment