About Thomas Ryan Photography

This major photographic project documents 20th Century Modernism throughout Australia. Join me, Thomas Ryan, on a photographic journey as I document Australian 20th Century Modernism through the camera lens. Art Deco, Inter-war, Post War, Brutalism,are just some of the styles I document in this fascinating period in Australia's built history.

If you would like to get in touch with me, please visit my website,Thomas Ryan Photography. You can also contact me via social media on facebook and g+ All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan. All rights reserved, unauthorised use is prohibited.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Former Hobart Hydro Electric Commission Buildings gets facelift

The landmark (former) Hydro Electric Commission getting a makeover

Last week work commenced on repainting the former Hydro Electric Commission Building (now the Hobart City Council). When I took a closer look the paint going up was white, I hoped that it was just the undercoat! Contacting the Council, I was informed that the entire exterior of the building is being repainted, in the same colour scheme that exists now. I have been told it may look a lighter because the exterior is quite dirty as I've been informed the last time it was painted was some 30 years ago.


This landmark Art Deco building was designed in the late 1930s by A&K Henderson & Partners, a Melbourne based firm. It ranks as one of the most impressive examples of commercial Art Deco in Hobart and Tasmania. Streamline Art Deco buildings always look stunning on a street corners and the former Hydro Electric Commission building is a real joy to view.The central column lights up a neon yellow at night, it must have been a real eye opener back in the 1930s when motorists and passers by would have witnessed a massive new building the power harnessed by the construction of dams around the state; this building symbolised a new era in Industry and employment and power usage in the 20th Century.


No comments:

Post a Comment