About Thomas Ryan Photography

This major photographic project documents 20th Century Modernism throughout Australia. Join me, Thomas Ryan, on a photographic journey as I document Australian 20th Century Modernism through the camera lens. Art Deco, Inter-war, Post War, Brutalism,are just some of the styles I document in this fascinating period in Australia's built history.

If you would like to get in touch with me, please visit my website,Thomas Ryan Photography. You can also contact me via social media on facebook and g+ All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan. All rights reserved, unauthorised use is prohibited.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Ostend Flats, Brighton - Melbourne


These stunning flats located in the suburb of Brighton, Melbourne were designed by architect, I.G Anderson.  He designed many great examples of Art Deco architecture in Victoria as well as Tasmania.  A notable example in Melbourne city that he designed included Lonsdale House that was only recently demolished.  Check out these flats named "Dorijo" in Fitzroy, Melbourne, also designed by Anderson. Note that Ostend, Lonsdale House and Dorijo are all adorned with tower turrets.

If you enjoy my Australian Art Deco & Modernism blog you might be interested to check out my blog dedicated to Tasmanian Art Deco & Modernism at http://modernismtas.blogspot.com.au/

I undertook a major photographic project documenting Australian Modernism that saw me travel throughout Victoria, New South Wales, ACT, and Queensland.  Check out my photographic collection here, the collection continues to be added too, so keep on checking back.


2 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by those gates/doors in the front wall, Thomas. Are they garages?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do recall someone saying that they were like beach house type rooms, as if you turn around the bay area is right in front of you.

    ReplyDelete